AEBG Executive Summary College of the Canyons (COC) and the William S. Hart Union High School District (Hart District) have established collaborative efforts over 45 years. As the only community college and high school district in the service area, the two school districts have representatives serving on each other’s advisory committees relating to adult education programs and career technical education (CTE) initiatives. The districts work collaboratively on concurrent/dual enrollment initiatives and have a variety of memorandum of understanding agreements in place for programs offered on campuses in both districts. The respective district boards meet annually in a joint meeting to share initiatives and work together on providing a united effort for adult education. The historical relationship of collaboration between the two districts provides a solid foundation for planning and implementation of the new adult education requirements. There is extensive, ongoing, and open communication regarding the providing of services and programs to support student and adult learning in our region. The districts have developed strategies for balancing programs and offerings so there is not a duplication of effort. Our intent is to continue this type of collaboration as we work together on providing comprehensive adult education to the Santa Clarita Valley.
Mission SCV Adult Education Consortium (GatewaySCV) provides ongoing learning opportunities to adults in basic skills education and career preparation and training.
Vision Provide a robust, comprehensive program supporting adult learners in the Santa Clarita Valley.
- Ensure aligned and coordinated curriculum among providers of adult education in GatewaySCV in the following areas:
- CTE: preparation, short-term training, and apprenticeship
- Basic skills/adult secondary education (high school diploma or equivalency)
- Immigrant education (ESL and citizenship)
- Adults providing support to school-aged children
- Adults with disabilities needing basic skills education and CTE preparation
- Deliver relevant programs and courses in strategic geographical locations to meet the needs of the community.
- Provide coordinated programs and courses in the GatewaySCV-defined areas of adult education.
- Provide resources and student support services to ensure the successful completion of programs and courses transitioning to further education and/or the world of work.
- Provide professional development opportunities to faculty and staff in the following areas:
- Discipline content: currency and relevance
- Effective and appropriate teaching strategies and techniques, including contextualized learning
- Principles of adult learning and cultural diversity
- Pathways and transitions from education to industry